Gender and Sexuality in War

Gender and Sexuality in War

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Run of This Course

I didn't know what to expect going into my first year of Humanities Core. All I had ever heard was how difficult it was and how time consuming it was - which was very true.

The theme was war and all I could think of was how horrible I was at history and how much more difficult this course would be for me. When I went to lectures I realized how much I didn't know/hadn't learned in high school.

It challenged me in a lot of ways and it made me uncomfortable, which is what college is supposed to be and supposed to do.

I think the hardest quarter for me was this quarter. We talked about sexual assault and sexual violence, and this topic was very uncomfortable, but, like the rest of Humanities Core, was very eye-opening.

Throughout history I had already known that women have been given the shorter end of everything and were always looked down on by men, I even knew about the disadvantages they faced when going into the military, but after watching The Invisible War it changed my perspective on the military and who is in it.

As this course continues and comes close to its end, I have reflected time and time again on the experience and what I have learned, and though it was trying and tiring, I would like to relive it. Just for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment